Valentine’s Day is one of the sweetest holidays around. You visit your sweetie in a sweet car with some sweets of chocolate. You move in for a gentle kiss – and they recoil. Seems like your sweet tooth elsewhere brought a not-so-sweet day for you and your significant other. Don’t worry, there are some simple dental-approved Valentine’s Day tips from American River Orthodontics in Sacramento & Roseville CA to help you out, before and during this lovely holiday!
- The very first thing your significant other will notice is teeth. Over time and neglect, your teeth that were once your “Pearly Whites” can quickly turn from a natural white color to a deep yellow. Before Valentine’s Day (and, in fact, every day!), don’t forget to brush and floss your teeth at least twice a day. These two tried and true methods will kick nasty bacteria out and keep your teeth healthy and strong for a Valentine’s dental day with some impressively shiny teeth. Don’t forget to visit us here at American River Orthodontics at least two to three times a year for a regular teeth cleaning and dental check up!
- Bad breath is the bane of many a kiss. As above, brushing and flossing are extremely important, but the most common offenders that create bad breath live on your tongue. Smoking, alcoholic beverages, and sugary mints can easily find their ways between the taste buds on your tongue. Of course, it’s always healthier to quit cigarettes and alcohol, so get a head start and ease yourself off of these habits. Brushing your tongue with a toothbrush doesn’t work well and can, in fact, harm your taste buds. However, there are ways to keep your tongue clean and germ free during your daily teeth cleaning. Use a tongue brush and gel specifically for sticking to and destroying tongue bacteria. Along with mouthwash, offensive breath will diminish quickly. You are now ready to declare your love in song or poem next to each other instead of doing so in separate rooms.
- Onto candy! Solid chocolate is not any more damaging than most other food, but avoid soft, hard, and chewy candies. Dissolved candies and soft chocolates can get stuck in between teeth, braces, dentures, and even the top of your mouth. If your significant other prefers greens and fruits to sweets, try to buy a bouquet of hard or skinless greens and fruits. Softer veggies and fruits with thin skins suffer from the same problems of candies and soft chocolate. Remember, stuck is yuck!
- Brush your teeth before ingesting any acidic foods or drinks. While this sounds counter-intuitive, toothpaste fills gaps in your teeth and protects enamel. Wait 30 minutes after brushing to let the protection set in, then celebrate with acidic foods. Your teeth with thank you for it! If a toothbrush isn’t around, grab some alkaline food and drink, such as salads, fruit and vegetable drinks, and curries, to counteract the acidic refreshments. Wash it all down with a cool drink of water to sweep away anything left behind.
- Believe it or not, people are very self-aware of their smile. Flowers, a thoughtful card, or a home-made dinner are all nice and romantic gestures during Valentine’s Day. However, sometimes the best gift is the gift of health. There are dozens of products that whiten teeth and give you back a fresh, shiny smile. Make sure you talk to your significant other before giving a box of tooth whiteners or a visit to the dentist for teeth whitening. Needless to say, this kind of gift is at best a backhanded compliment if sprung by surprise, so discuss it with your significant other first.
These 5 easy tips can turn a rote night into a very special – and clean – day of romance. To ensure a healthy smile this Valentine’s Day in and around Sacramento or Roseville CA, call Dr. Michael H. Payne and the team at American River Orthodontics at 916.786.2442 to make an appointment today!