EARLY TREATMENT & PREVENTION
Braces for Kids in Sacramento, CA!
The best time for your child to have a first orthodontic exam is when they are 7 years old. While there is no exact age for children to begin orthodontic treatment, the American Association of Orthodontists recommends seeing an orthodontist around age 7. By this time, most children have a mix of baby teeth and adult teeth, making it easier for Dr. Payne to identify and correct tooth and jaw problems without surgery.
Photos Courtesy American Association of Orthodontists
Early treatment now will give your child a healthy, beautiful smile for the future.
Early treatment allows Dr. Payne to:
- Guide jaw growth so permanent teeth come in straight
- Regulate the width of the upper and lower arches
- Create more space for crowded teeth
- Avoid permanent tooth extractions later in life
- Correct thumb-sucking and improve minor speech problems
How will you know if your child needs orthodontic care?
Here are a few things you should look for:
- Early/late loss of baby teeth
- Difficulty chewing or biting food
- Finger- or thumb-sucking
- Crowded, misplaced or blocked teeth or overbite
- Jaws that pop or make sounds when opening and closing
- Teeth that do not come together normally, or at all
- Jaws and teeth that are not proportionate to the face
- Crowded front teeth by age 7 or 8