Let’s face it; most people don’t have smiles that are naturally perfect. Many people suffer from crooked, misaligned, or discolored teeth. Luckily, we have good news for those who wish to improve the appearance of their smile, and steer clear of any health implications that it may bring. There’s no better way to get started than by scheduling a consultation with Dr. Michael Payne at American River Orthodontics near Placer County, CA. During your initial consultation, Dr. Michael Payne will address any questions or concerns you may have, and outline a treatment plan that will best suit your specific case. The staff at American River Orthodontics wants to ensure that you feel prepared for your consultation and in charge of your orthodontic treatment decisions, so keep these questions in mind when you come in for your consultation:
- If my goal is to have a straighter and healthier smile, what kinds of treatment options do I have? Could any of the alternatives to traditional metal braces be right for me? Asking this is important because it helps Dr. Michael Payne get an idea of your goals, and helps you discern which treatment options will work to help you accomplish your goals. At American River Orthodontics, many of our patients have been opting for alternative treatments such as Invisalign. Your consultation is the perfect time to ask the doctor which options would be the best for your case.
- What kind of preparation is needed to get braces? How many visits will it take? It’s always a good idea to ask a question like this to ensure that you’re comfortable with undergoing orthodontic treatment and that it fits conveniently into your schedule.
- Should I expect any pain while I have braces? This is a very common concern for many of our patients, and one that you should bring up if it’s worrying you. A lot of people who could easily benefit from orthodontic treatment shy away from the idea due to the fear of it being extremely painful. However, the American River Orthodontics team will explain exactly what to expect, and can reassure you that anything you may feel will be short and more uncomfortable rather than painful.
- What determines how long I have to wear braces? This is another very common concern. Dr. Michael Payne says that the length of treatment will vary from patient to patient. During your consultation, we can evaluate your teeth and jaw alignment to determine the correct course and an estimated length of treatment. Many people believe that once they begin treatment, a dramatic difference will occur overnight. However, orthodontics can be a timely process, so don’t be disappointed if you don’t notice a huge change in a short amount of time. You’ll achieve your dream smile soon!
- How will braces affect my lifestyle; the foods I can eat; and the activities I can do? Unfortunately, it’s impossible to avoid not having to make changes to your lifestyle and dietary habits, once you begin treatment. You will likely find that you just need to make a few changes to your daily routine to have a more successful and faster end result with your orthodontic treatment near Placer County, CA. We will discuss any of these changes during your initial consultation so that you’ll be prepared by the time your treatment with braces begins.
Other important questions you may want to ask include:
- Who will be involved in the orthodontic treatment that I receive?
- How long will a typical adjustment appointment last?
- What is the “average” cost of orthodontic treatment and what should you expect to pay? (Make sure you’re clear about what your insurance covers, who contacts the insurance company for pre-authorization, who files the insurance forms, and what flexibility there is to pay the remaining amount not covered!)
Your initial orthodontic consultation is just the first step towards that perfect smile that awaits you. Dr. Michael Payne advises that patients come into their consultation with all of their questions, which will help you to better understand the entire process and prepare you to do your part for your orthodontic experience. Be sure to bring a list of your questions! To schedule a consultation with American River Orthodontics, please call 916.786.2442 or visit our orthodontic office near Placer County, CA.